Sunday, April 15, 2007

Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants

Hello digital readers!
I first have to start admitting that I classify myself as a Digital Immigrant. As a digital immigrant you can imagine how frustrated I could be sometimes working with today's technology. At first was very difficult, but after few trial and error I found my way. Now days I consider myself well trained on computers, at least the necessary. I have adapted myself to the new environment.

While reading Mark Prensky article I was not amazed of his statements. I have notice the difference between today's students way of thinking and their information process. With my experience with undergraduate students I have seen how today's students depend on their tech gadgets. Students are usually around with their laptops, i-pods, MP3's, cellphones and so on. They can't live with out them, at least I am so hook up with my cell. :)
Although I recognize the importance technology has in our culture, I have a concern about how much technology is being used. I believe that everything in life has to be in balance. Being this said, teaching and learning can be done with old and new methodology. The new methodology helps connect the gaps between ideas.

Let me be more specific, I teach Chemistry, and sometimes it can be a very abstract topic. Multimedia as become a great tool for teaching some topics, because it can illustrate in 3D some of the abstract pictures that student might have problem to understand. I myself finds that when using molecular modeling or simulation, it help me gain a better understanding on a molecule and all its properties. Yet again, I have to go back to my book to obtain the theory behind the ideas or concepts, because when being test in college, test are concept base. This is why I believe on having a balance on old school methodology and new school technology.
I also have to admit that the challenge that a today's teacher, specially the digital immigrant, is much greater than those native teachers. It takes more time to me to come with a creative idea that includes technology to teach some topic.

I agree that some subject are a easier than others, in the sense that multimedia can be use more as part of the lesson. The issue here is being creative and making the best out of it. Use multimedia and new technology the best possible to teach and prepare our students for the future.

Truly,

Wida

No comments: