Saturday, May 19, 2007

How can digital stories fit into Math and Science?


Hi All!
This week the blog assignment was to answer to one of the students that posted their What's In the News? I have decide to answer Priya's questions.
When I first was introduced to the idea of digital stories in science I had some questions myself. But with some time and reasoning I found that indeed it can be a very nice tool for teachers. For instance, I am a chemistry teacher, and depending on the grade that I will be teaching I can definitely use a digital story to introduce the periodic table. In another education course I was introduce to the idea of using comics books to introduce the periodic table. I am attaching the link of were you can see some of these comics books (
http://www.uky.edu/Projects/Chemcomics/), by using the same idea but with another technology, digital stories can be great tool to get students interest in chemistry. For example, I will use the open source Blender to assign my student to create their own animated digital story of one particular element. While they are doing a great project that includes new technology, they are also learning about the element they chose to work with. Same can be applied to math, with a little of imagination, if we ask them to create a baseball or soccer digital story, here they have to incorporate the Pythagoras theorem for the baseball story and for the soccer story they have to incorporate geometry. It is possible to incorporate digital stories into math and science, it just a matter of being a little creative. There are a lot of ideas on the Internet, you can start with one as the base but then make it your own by designing it for your assignment.

Hope this was helpful!
Truly,
Wida

1 comment:

Charles Schaick said...

Wida,
I really enjoyed reading your Blog. I agree with you that digital stories are a great way to introduce learning tools, such as the periodic table, to students. The comic book weblink and site are perfect for this endeavor since each character from these classic comics represents a periodic element, such as Goldman and Platinum Girl. It’s a fun way for students to study, but it’s addictive and I spent a lot of time there, myself. I must admit, I probably own some of the comic books on the site.

Thanks for sharing,
Charles