Tuesday, May 29, 2007

R-Directed Thinking and 21th Century Learning Environments for Students

Hi All!

Another week has pass and we are almost done. But before a reflection on what do we need to change in our thought process or learning styles to begin to adapt to R-Directed Thinking for the purpose of creating 21th Century learning environments for students?

Well let me define first what the R-Directed Thinking facets are:
1) Design: create something that is beautiful, whimsical or emotionally engaging
2) Story: the essence of persuasion, communication, and self-understanding
3) Symphony: seeing the big picture crossing boundaries and being able to combine disparate pieces into arresting new whole
4) Empathy: what will distinguish those who thrive will be their ability to understand what makes their fellow woman or man tick, to force relationships, and to care for others.
5) Play: benefits of laughter, lightheartedness, games and humor
6) Meaning: finding purpose, transcendence and spiritual fulfillment

Now that the 6 facets are define above, I have to admit that without knowing, I was practicing the R-Direct Thinking myself. I also have to admit that it would be a great to introduce and maintain these thinking facets on our students. These will allow students to develop as better human being. Teaching them these 6 facets, we are teaching them to be design what ever they want with passion, engaging their creativity. Students will also learn the importance of self understanding, and how this will benefit them in transferring their knowledge to others.
Most of all, I am all for teaching my students on finding the purpose of life and all the things they do. School stuff, church stuff, sports, what ever they do, they need to find purpose and spiritual fulfillment, because then everything else will come with it. They will gain laughter and humor, satisfaction on caring for others. You name it, they will have it, if they practice at least some of these R-Directed thinking facets, we can probably have a better society in our future.

Truly,
Wida

1 comment:

Charles Schaick said...

Wida,
I’m glad our class had the opportunity to review the six facets of R-Directed Thinking, and in my heart I want to incorporate the facets into my lessons. However, in the School District of Philadelphia there is little opportunity given to teachers to instill these deeper, character developing facets of instruction. With principals breathing down teachers’ necks and NCLB in place, along was AYP as the goal for student achievement, the realities of the system interfere with the bettering of students. I wish R-Directed Thinking becomes the dominant form of learning, but I have my doubts this will happen anytime soon, especially in urban schools.
As for R-Directed Thinking in college, I don’t believe Drexel will be the first institution of higher learning to adopt it. I’ve been attending Drexel since 1991, and I have yet to have any degree of “fun” on any project or in any lecture or lesson. I felt a sense of accomplishment numerous times, and I built a strong work ethic, but the only “fun” I’ve ever had during my time at Drexel was away from Drexel. Maybe the assessment factor looming over my head all the time interferes with my “fun.” If the grades and GPA’s weren’t important, than I might have some “educational fun.” But to me, Drexel equals torture. If I illuminate the assessment factor from my lessons for my students, they might have “educational fun,” as well.